A BRIEF HISTORY OF LODGE ZETLAND 391 - Towards the end of the
year 1858, several Brethren met for the purpose of having a Lodge
of Freesmasons consecrated at Grangemouth. The enthusiasm was sufficient
to warrant a petition to the Grand Lodge of Scotland, to issue a charter.
This request was granted and the Charter obtained dated, 7th February
1859. Initially the Lodge was placed on the Roll of Linlithgowshire
Province and remained there until 1889. A request to the Earl of Zetland,
at that time The Most Worshipful Grand Master of the United Grand
Lodge of England, was made to have his permission to name the new
lodge "ZETLAND". A ready assent was given and the Brethren
showed their respect by adopting the colours of the Earl's Racing
Livery for their regalia, namely Scarlet and Buff. The family from
whom the Lodge had taken it's name had an unbroken succession of Provincial
Grand Masters of Yorkshire (North and East Ridings) from 1817 until
The first meeting of the Lodge was held on the 8th February 1859 when
it was resolved that the Brethren of the Ancient Brazen Lodge No17,
Linlithgow be invited to inaugurate the "Zetland" lodge
on the 15th of February 1859. Following
is and extract from the minutes of the inaugural meeting:
Tuesday the 15th February 1859 the Officers of Lodge Zetland were
duly installed by the R.W.M of the Ancient Brazen Lodge. In appreciation
of the services rendered the Officers and Brethren comprising the
Deputation from Lodge No17 were unanimously elected Honorary Members
of Lodge Zetland No391.
The first Lodge Room situated in Grange Street (now demolished) was
consecrated on the 18th of October 1859 by the R.W.M of Lodge Ancient
Stirling No30. Deputations were present from the following Sister
Lodges: Lodge Torphicen No13, Bathgate. Lodge Ancient Brazen No17,
Linlithgow. Lodge St. Andrew No25, St. Andrews. Lodge Ancient Stirling
No30, Stirling. Lodge Edinburgh St. Andrew No48, Edinburgh. Lodge
of Alloa No69, Alloa.
Lodge Caledonian No392, Edinburgh.
The first Ball in connection with the Lodge took place on the 21st
March 1862. Deputations were received from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling
The Ball commenced with the Grand March and continued with some
of the most fashionable dances of the day. The scene was most magnificent,
the hall being beautifully decorated with flags and bunting of different
nations. A very large number of the Fair Sex were present, comprising
the elite of the town and neighbourhood. The rich dresses and the
clothing of the Brethren added to the scene. The dancing was kept
up with great spirit until nearly 4a.m.
On the 29th May 1865 the memorial stone of the Established Church,
situated at the extreme end of Bo'ness Road, Grangemouth (now Union
Road) was laid with full Masonic Honours by the R.W.M. The lodges
assisting were Linlithgow, Denny and St. John No16 , Falkirk. Lodge
St. John had just been resurrected from a dormancy of twenty five
years. The petition to the Grand Lodge of Scotland to revive the Falkirk
Lodge was endorsed by the Master and Wardens of Lodge Zetland.
Regards to Bro. J.Bekush. PM 391 for above.